Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Where's My Oscar?

I've been wandering around for the last 24 hours performing some Academy Award-winning dramatic monologues. They are mostly about how the weather at Jazz Fest on Saturday will be and how flip flops are just such a horrible idea, but sneakers will likely be uncomfortable and even how I just don't know what to do. Then I sigh and flail about, mostly throwing myself on the couch in despair. The Fantastic Mr. M. just smiles at me, then says in the calmest tone you've ever heard, "Jess, it's going to be fine." I subsequently roll my eyes and tell him, "You ALWAYS say that." And it's true. He always tells me that things like this will be fine. Here's the kicker: they always are. I have a flair for the dramatic. I do, and I think it's the Sicilian in me. We're almost always loud, and we're always a little dramatic. Okay, a lot.

The point of this story is that I'm anxious. I'm nervous. See, I'm finally going to see what all the fuss is about. And by fuss, I mean Pearl Jam. I've been a fan for over half of my lifetime, but have never seen them live. And I've seen a lot of shows. In fact, I've crossed every band I want to see off of my list with one exception - Pearl Jam. See, if you don't know about the true Pearl Jam fans, let me shed a little light for you. It's a cult-like following that is terribly difficult to explain. Once people realize that I'm a fan of Pearl Jam even after their first three albums, they're typically befuddled. And there are even a handful that will question me about whether Pearl Jam is still together making music. In those instances, I have to swallow very hard and try to not look at them like they've sprouted a third head.

I have a hard time keeping my opinion to myself, and that characteristic is heightened ten fold when it comes to music. I can't understand why people don't see things the same way I do, but I suppose that's my challenge. In addition, it's what makes the world go 'round. Anyway, the next time someone asks you if Pearl Jam is still making music, tell them that they are in fact still making their mark. If you don't believe me, listen to this song and you will hear it. This song got me out of bed on many a dark day. I hope it finds a meaning for you as well. Enjoy.

3 comments:

donny* said...

you and your precious 'riot act'. say, have i ever mentioned that i've seen pearl jam three times?and just so you know, 'off he goes' is *the* pearl jam tune. just sayin'. :)

Anonymous said...

Ten is in my car right now. I'm convert by way of a friend who loves PJ so much that she flies all over the country to see them and has her home decorated with half a dozen PJ posters. Good taste.

BTW - My friend always wears sneakers to PJ concerts on account of the mud possibility.

Jessica said...

Oh, Donny G. When will you ever learn that while 'Off He Goes' is a great tune, most every track from Riot Act is masterpiece material. I better see you there this weekend for your fourth PJ show. And that's that.

Jess, your friend does have great taste. Being that you have Ten in your car, might I suggest pouring yourself a glass of wine when it's getting late and switching on track 11. 'Release' is my favorite PJ song of all time and it will do nothing but make all the sense in the world to you. Trust me, it's five or so minutes of brilliance.